Thursday, October 27, 2011

First Birthday Party

As I've mentioned we celebrated HER first birthday party with an Oktoberfest theme.  Complete with German food, a pretzel stand, and of course a biergarten for adults and root beer floats for kids.  When I was decorating I was faced with the conundrum of how to make the party kid-friendly without it being overtly "Oktoberfest."  So I decided to make a lot of decorations myself adding in Oktoberfest details like pictures of pretzels, dindrl dresses, and bratwurst while mixing in pink and girly touches.

Overall, I am so pleased with the result and I think SHE was too!

I made a mini cake for HER to smash!  I even decorated myself with frosting and a sugar fondant SHE could eat.  I displayed it on a vintage tea plate that rested on an old candle holder to make it look like a cake stand.


Cute bands I put everywhere...on HER highchair, around the utensil holders, and around each card that told guests what each food was.


Tiny Prost (Cheers in German) flags I hand cut out and put on each pink straw.



The invites sent to the guests!  I made these on PowerPoint and then printed out on card stock at the local print store.  Total cost to print everything out was $40!

I even decorated HER high chair for the big Happy Birthday song and cake smash.

The cupcake stand...thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law who baked these and decorated them in Oktoberfest blue and white.
The pretzel stand!  Gift bags were out and filled by each guest to take home.  It was our way of saying thank you for celebrating HER birthday with us.

The biergarten and root beer stand.

German food stand: sauerkraut, brats, mac & cheese, pretzels, German potato salad and all of the fixings.  Yummy!  Thanks to my mom who helped prepare all of the food!

The cake smash...

And finally, not wanting to get HER hands dirty so SHE just smashed HER face right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment