Monday, May 16, 2011

Officially Addicted

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  It was a busy one at the Sequined Sunset household!  Rain kept us indoors but my husband and I did brave it for a bit to get a 10 mile run in (we are training for the half marathon to be completed in a few weeks), I organzined and priced alot of stuff for our yard sale next weekend, played-cuddled-loved with HER, and I finally got a sewing machine!

On my re-design quest I have really thought a sewing machine would be a good investment to save on costs by making my own drapes, pillows, etc.  When I was telling my mother-in-law this she mentioned my sister-in-law has 2 sewing machines she wants to sell.  So I jumped on the chance to try one out, a Singer Simple.  Once in hand, I dragged my husband and sleeping babe to JoAnn Fabric Store, bought fabric and began to sew. 

My husband doubted my ablities (and frankly so did I) but I have to say we are rather impressed with the finished products.  I definitely plan on taking some lessons to perfect my skills (I am a novice at best) but I must thank my mother for teaching me the basics when I was younger.

 Our ottoman which is the beginnings of our updated decor.  I plan on painting the legs a pretty beachy/French blue and stapling the bottom for a more refined look.  Or maybe shortining a bit and putting a pretty fringe along the bottom.  Thoughts?

 I found directions on the interenet here and plan to use the same fabric in pillows as well to bring some continuity in the finished product.

 My first pillow out of a nautical print.  The corners need work but all-in-all I think it turned out great!

The Singer Simple: my new best friend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment