I recently wrote a post about my party essentials, seen here, and wanted to share how I am executing #5: using a tablecloth as a beach blanket. It was super easy and cheap. I picked up a vinyl waterproof tablecloth for $7 at a local store and already had an unused blanket on hand but Wal-Mart is a good source for both of these at great prices.
DIY: *Fancy* Easy and Cheap Beach Blanket
What you need:
~vinyl waterproof tablecloth
~any blanket in a similar size
Here's how you do it:
1. Place the tablecloth and blanket right side against each other and wrong side out.
2. Pin all the way around. I didn't use as many pins as I should have so be excessive.
3. Sew only 3/4 of the blanket on the sewing machine, leaving 1/4 of it open to be hand sewn later.
4. Using the un-sewn opening, turn the blanket right side out
5. Then hand sew the opening closed. I don't have pictures but I actually added a ribbon at this point.
6. Roll up, tie with a ribbon for portability, and you are all set for the beach.
There you have it! An easy DIY beach blanket. Not only is it super cheap but super *fancy* for the beach!