Monday, June 25, 2012

DIY: Nautical Rope Lamp

Last week I posted this picture of my vignettes...after looking at them for awhile I am not entirely thrilled with the lamps.  They are out of place in the rest of the beachy cottage decor, don't you think?


I searched the WWW for some replacements and only found 2 I actually liked. I love this nautical looking lamp from West Elm that is sadly no longer available.

Round Rope Lamp


And this Fisherman's Rope Nautical Lamp version from Amazon is very nice but $120 is a little steep for me.

Fisherman's Rope Nautical Lamp

So I thought I'd try my hand at recreating a cross between the two using some basic materials I had laying around the house.  Here is what I used for my DIY Nautical Rope Lamp:

~old lamp (obviously)
~hot glue gun and extra glue sticks
~scissors
~large roll of hemp


Before you begin, remove the lamp shade!  Trust me, the process will be easier.  Then, start by putting a bead of hot glue at the top and wrap the hemp around the lamp shaft.  


Repeat wrapping the hemp around, securing with glue every 5-10 wraps.  I wrapped the hemp around 3 times for a "fuller" look... a burnt finger and 30 minutes later I got this!

  
I love how they turned out!  Be sure to stop back tomorrow  because we are going to play "musical lamps."

No comments:

Post a Comment