Friday, May 27, 2011

A Lesson I Shall Not Forget

Too often we forget that a little bit of kindness and thanks goes a long way.  My travel day was very crazy due to the weather.  Flights were being cancelled and delayed left and right and people in the airport were on edge.  Potential passengers complained, worried, paced, and yelled at the gate agents as I just sat in watch, worrying myself I'd have to end up driving 8 hours home.  However the madness, the agents were calm and collected, helping each person and doing their best to calm everyone down.  One gate agent in particluar was extremely attentive.  He never raised his voice, never showed emotion or stress but one only knew he must just be realling inside, counting the minutes until his next break.  Finally, after a few hours the flight boarded (the one I wasn't on-I was on a later flight that was even further delayed) I walked up to this man and asked kindly if I could get a seat...after a few minutes he gave me a ticket.  I don't know why but as he handed me my ticket I gave him a hug and thanked him.  I think he almost cried because as he mentioned these words there was a little quiver in his voice, "That was the nicest thing that happened to me all day.  Thank you for appreciating."

That moment made me remember the lessons we learn as we are growing up and often forget as adults.  Be kind to others, you catch more flys with honey than vinegar, and a little compassion goes a long way.  I will be writing a very nice comment letter to Delta about him. 


NO ACT OF KINDNESS - QUOTE PRINT

pm a hug a day keeps the blues away

So on this busy holiday weekend, just remember the golden rule:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

And don't forget, a hug is just a way to tell someone with out words thank you, I love you, or I appreciate you.  Have a wonderful weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment