Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How To: Make Vintage Looking Hang Tags

So this is my first attempt at making vintage looking hang tags to use for my Etsy product (just in case someone buys something from me).  So here are the steps I've done but first what you need:

~hang tags, I bought mine from Michael's for $2 for 10
~tea bags
~water

Step 1: pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: meanwhile I brewed 3 tea bags in water until desired color 
Step 3: place the tags in the tea water for about 2-3 minutes.

Step 4: place the wet hang tags on a cookie sheet

*side note: As I was making these I was drinking raspberry Kool-Aid and my husband said, "You should try dying some of the hang tags in the Kool-Aid.  So I did and that it is why you see pink hang tags on the cookie sheet.  Needless to say THEY DID NOT TURN OUT!  But I think I might try again...

Step 5: Bake for 1 minute in middle of oven, then flip the hang tags and bake for another minute

Step 6: Place dry hang tags in a book overnight.  After coming out of the oven mine were a bit curled and I wanted them flat.

Step 7: draw a pretty picture, stamp a pretty picture, or what ever your heart's desire

The finished product!

Oh, and here is my new "work space."  It is small but good enough to create some art which you can see a sneak peak of on the easel for my Etsy shop to be opened soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment